Playing Time Policy
Wayzata Traveling Basketball has been established as a Developmental and Competitive sports organization. In order to clarify this position for both parents and coaches, the Board has established the following guidelines:
- In general, 4th-8th grade Coaches are encouraged to give all players equal priority for first ~¾ of game (21-23 minutes). It is recommended to balance lineups based on skill & size/athleticism and rotate every 3-4 min.
- 4th and 5th grade teams strive for close to equal playtime over the entire season.
- 6th-8th grade strive for close to equal playtime early in season. C teams strive for close to equal playtime over the entire season.
- Minimum playtime goal for a 28 min stop time game is to average/game 10 min(10 players) or 11 min(8-9 players) for all grades.
- Minimum playtime goal for a 40 min running time game is to average/game 14 min(10 players) or 16 min(8-9 players) for all grades.
- In general, last 5-7 minutes of games/overtime playtime can be based on needs of team/matchups/performance/focus etc. Examples: close games, more competitive or championship games.
- All players should have a chance to start & finish games over the course of the season.
- WGBA reasoning for not having equal playtime is to motivate players to work on fundamentals in both off season and in season to improve and earn more playtime. Coaches consider team needs, matchups, performance and commitment/focus in determining playtime above the minimum requirement.
- Coaches can deviate from the guidelines under certain circumstances or situations such as a player repeatedly missing practice, player behavioral problems, player injuries, foul trouble, etc.
- During the season, basketball practices and tournaments should take precedence over all activities other than family, religious or school functions. If a player misses practices or games for other reasons, the coach is not required to abide by the above playing time guidelines.
By adhering to the these guidelines, WGBA should provide a fun and competitive opportunity to all participants who invest time and energy into the development of their skills.