Wayzata Traveling Basketball has been established as a Developmental and Competitive sports organization. In order to clarify this position for both parents and coaches, the Board has established the following guidelines:
- 4th and 5th grade teams strive for close to equal playtime over the entire season. Minimum playtime range(A and B level) is 12-14 min for each game. Advised to rotate players every 4 min for most games. If close game, coach discretion for last 4 minutes/overtime with playtime based on team needs/performance. Give each player a chance to start at least one game each tournament.
- 6th-8th grade minimum playtime range(A and B level) is 10-12 min for each game. In lopsided games strive to give players receiving less than 14 min per game on average more playtime. Advised to rotate players every 4 min for most games. If close game, coach discretion for last 4 minutes/overtime with playtime based on team needs/performance. Give each player a chance to start games over the season.
- 4th-8th grade C level teams strive for close to equal playtime over the entire season.
- For all grades/levels, last 4 minutes of close games/overtime playtime can be based on needs of team/matchups/performance/focus etc.
- WGBA reasoning for not having equal playtime is to motivate players to work on fundamentals in both off season and in season to improve and earn more playtime. Coaches consider team needs, matchups, performance and commitment/focus in determining playtime above the minimum requirement.
- Coaches can deviate from the guidelines under certain circumstances or situations such as a player repeatedly missing practice, player behavioral problems, player injuries, foul trouble, etc.
- During the season, basketball practices and tournaments should take precedence over all activities other than family, religious or school functions. If a player misses practices or games for other reasons, the coach is not required to abide by the above playing time guidelines.
By adhering to the these guidelines, WGBA should provide a fun and competitive opportunity to all participants who invest time and energy into the development of their skills.